blog title flat final resized

Saturday 24 March 2007

Funeral

I went to a funeral yesterday for a gorgeous 21 year old. I cried my eyes out during it, even though I didn't know him very well (he was a work friend) because I felt so sad for his family (mum, dad, sister and brother), because I imagined what it would be like to lose a child or a sibling, and because he was such a uniquely wonderful, warm, genuine person and it is such a tragic loss. He was studying to be a doctor, and was a member of Amnesty International, and involved in some kind of "Medicine against War" thing, as well as some involvement in the Greens. Very conscientious and deep-thinking, and so genuinely caring and interested in people. Very rare.

I don't know whether it is because I have never before known a person so young who has died (in fact, I've known very few people who have died) or if it's hormones, or both, but his death has affected me very very deeply. I can't stop thinking about it and crying.

No comments: